My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: OB Gas question  (Read 12151 times)

coopergsr

OB Gas question
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »

Lynn (or anyone else that may know)
Is there anywhere you can still buy "Conventional Gasoline" (non ethanol) around Rayburn for our Outboards? I just hate putting the 10% eoh in my boat but have no choice over here by Houston.
If you or anyone knows of a place please post the name & location & I will patronize.

Thanks in advance.

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
Re: OB Gas question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »

Not that I know of and they are going to go to 15 % Ethanol from what I have heard.
Remember when they went to unleaded they said that they would make a fuel for the cars that had to have the leaded gas to keep the engines from burning the valves and cause major engine damage. Well that didn't last long and people paid the price of major repairs or bought new cars.. HMMM I think it is going to be worst this time around.  If this fuel is eating up the fuel tanks and hose on the older boats what going to happen when one of them burns up and gets someone hunt. ??????   I can tell you this fuel we have in a older carburetor will not last more then 2 months before it will not even start the engine. I have done that test on one.  What gets me is we pay for the ethanol three times and then have to buy something to make it last and not go bad..... 

coopergsr

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »

Yea, I use Stabil Marine faithfully.
If gas stays in my tank 2-3 months I siphon out all I can & use that in truck &/or mower.
I wish our Govt. would hear us.
Could have an "off road conventional gas" for boats, tractors, mowers, etc.
If your old enough to remember, there use to be an "off road diesel (fuel)" for farm equipment & farmers paid no road taxes either. That is also gone as far as I know.

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »

Ethanol 10% is what we have now E10

Ethanol 15% is what they want which is Called E15

This what gets me.
What Vehicles and Engines May Not Use E15?
All motorcycles.
All vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as school buses, transit buses, and delivery trucks.
All off-road vehicles, such as boats and snowmobiles.
All engines in off-road equipment, such as lawnmowers and chain saws.
All MY2000 and older cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles (SUVs).

I remember the unleaded gas change over. There going to be gas for the older engines that needed the lead. Yep I see it out there every day at the pumps. People had to buy new cars or pay high repairs bills to fix their older engines to run the unleaded gas. Trust Them.. Where is American now...

Boat motors can't run on E15 and then Another huge factor, boat engine manufactures will not warranty a motor that uses in access of E10 gas?

So what you do with $20,000.00 Boat motor? Use it as a boat anchor...
We need to stand up and be heard now..

Press Release

House Passes Sullivan E15 Amendment

Washington, Feb 19 - Today, Congressman John Sullivan offered the following statement after the House of Representatives passed his amendment to H.R. 1, the Full Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011. The Sullivan amendment prevents the EPA from spending any federal funds on the E15 waivers granted over the past year. This important amendment prevents consumer confusion at the pump and protects the engines of vehicles and outdoor power equipment. The amendment passed by a vote of 286 - 135.

“My amendment ensures consumer safety, plain and simple. The EPA has completely ignored calls from lawmakers, industry, environmental and consumer groups to address important safety issues raised by the 50% increase in the ethanol mandate issued over the past year. Putting E15 into our general fuel supply could adversely impact up to 60% of cars on the road today– leading to consumer confusion at the pump and possible engine failure in the cars they drive. These decisions can also negatively impact marine and other non-road engines such as boats, lawn mowers. My amendment put the brakes on E15 for the rest of the fiscal year, giving Congress time to address these questions and ensure consumer safety at the pump.”

Edited by Reel um N Guide Service (3 seconds ago)
http://www.rayburncountry.com
http://www.reelumn
lynn@reelumn.com
Cell 979-220-0251
Home 936-897-3400

coopergsr

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

Thank God someone is standing up for us & thank you Lynn for the info.

CastawayJB

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »

We found regular gasoline without Ethanol at Lake Fork this past weekend. I know its not feasable to drive all the way up there and get it but it proves these stores can supply it if they find the right supplier.

Otherwise, best we can all do is buy stock in Sta-Bil and add it to every tank you buy with ethanol.

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:45 AM »

What people need to do is get together and be heard and stop letting gov. run everything and pad their pockets with our money.

Bassfishing1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:36:50 AM »

Lynn,
       I saw in the statment above that All Boat motors cant run on the E15.  What about 4 stroke boat motors?  Could you please educate me?

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »

From what I have heard none will run on it and manufacturer will not warranty them if you do. There is a big write up in Bass Master and you can read lots on the internet. I biggest question is what going to happen when the fuel lines start to lead and causes a fire and someone gets hurt or kill.
Here is the link to Merucy that sdays it all about the fuel and warranty and it's not good at all.   http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/faqs/outboards/?category=ethanol#MercEthanol 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:15:28 PM by Reelumn »

Bassfishing1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

ALL- Here is a link I found that gives you locations of places that has pure gas.  Looks like the only place within driving distance is lake fork.  http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »

Guys I just replaced a fuel line that separated inside and was blocking the fuel to my engine. When I opened up the harness to get to the fuel line I found that it had been leaking and the fuel had started eating thur my oil lines to the engine.  This is a 2008 boat and this fuel is eating everything up. If they go to Ethanol 15% or E15 as the nicked name it we are done for. No more boat engines for anyone. No more chain saws or lawn mowers. I guess we'll be cutting the grass the old way by hand... we'll be back in 1800 again ....  Laugh if you want but if we don't stick together on this we be bank fishing a lot more.  American is in the land of the fees don't free anymore.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:03:52 PM by Reelumn »

Bassfishing1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »

Dang Lynn- That sucks.  I have a 2006, now I really have to check mine and stop putting it off.  I don't get near the run time that a guide gets on a motor, but I still try to put my boat in the water at least 3- times a month year round.  I am glad to hear that it did not damage too much.  The fuel folks really need to find some kind of solution to this problem.  Stabil says they can prevent this but from what I read nothing can (that they know of now)  They said if you must keep fuel in the boat, keep it completely full.  This will cut done on the phase separation or reduce the moisture that can be pulled form the air.  How can Stabil claim they can prevent this if everyone else says they cant.  Do you use stabil? 

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »

I have used it all and I can say I haven't found anything that will the keep the fuel good for any longer than a month or two before it goes bad. What I mean is it don't have any punch left you can hear the engine missing at a low idle to about 1200rpm the best can say is I keep reserve tank with about half full and each month  go ahead and fill it up and ran the fuel out before I refill it to the half way mark and treat with Mercury Stabilizer. Mercury has some new Stabilizer out now.