My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Hydrilla questions  (Read 3816 times)

hopin4abite

• Email
Hydrilla questions
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »

This weekend will be my first ever trip to 'Big Sam' and I had a few questions.  I havent fished hydrilla to much in my life and I figured I will see a lot of it this weekend.  Is it common practice to flip jigs in the hydrilla?  If so, which colors are best.  Also which color lipless seem to work well, and when retrieveing is slow-rolling or yo-yoing best?  And one last question is chatter/swim combos good to throw around the grass and is a wacky worm good?
Thanks

coopergsr

Re: Hydrilla questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »

This weekend will be my first ever trip to 'Big Sam' and I had a few questions.  I havent fished hydrilla to much in my life and I figured I will see a lot of it this weekend.  Is it common practice to flip jigs in the hydrilla?  If so, which colors are best.  Also which color lipless seem to work well, and when retrieveing is slow-rolling or yo-yoing best?  And one last question is chatter/swim combos good to throw around the grass and is a wacky worm good?
Thanks

By no means am I a pro but my opinion, that has worked for me.
Jigs: Yes or plastic/hvy wt... Black/Blu or crawdad colors
Lipless: again crawdad, red, crome, shad or perch colors, doing whatever works that day or hr.
Nvr used the chatter baits but spinners DO work, again same colors.
what lil bit I've throwed wacky worms caught only small fish, but not a fan of it so haven't give it much of a chance.
my favorites: big crankbaits, same colors & top waters - poppers, frogs, jerk baits, flukes, etc. colors vary & crawdad Tx rigged