My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Ribbit Frogs  (Read 3664 times)

nwest10

• Email
Ribbit Frogs
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »

Ok, who out there has the secret to fishing these?  I know Lynn uses them and have seen them in his reports a time or two.  I've got a box full of them and had blow up after blow up on them.  Started with the single swim hook and changed to the double swim hook, but still only have about a 2 in 10 hook up.  One of my buddies told me to wait at least 2 seconds before setting the hook, and another told me to wait until I feel the weight of the fish before setting the hook.  Seems like the wait only gave them time to spit it back out before the hook set.  I tried pushing the hooks all the way through exposing the tips about 1/8" but this adversely affects the swim action or makes the bait flip over or roll.

Anyone using or has used a trailer hook on them? any secrets you can share? Love fishing them, but can't stand to miss that many opportunities.

Thanks for any feedback!

TheFluke

• Sr. Members
    • Email
Re: Ribbit Frogs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »

What I do is when reeling it in I keep my rod tip high and keep tension at all times. When I get a blow up I lower the rod tip to 10 o'clock and wait 2 seconds then set off like there is no tomorrow. I had a problem with the hook up ratio when I first started using the bait but after switching to the double take hooks by Stanley, that ratio quickly changed. Also, it seems that sometimes the fish dont want to eat the bait, they just want that gurgling sound to stop because it annoys them. What type rod/reel set up are you using? My frog set up consist of a 7' Shimano Crucial med heavy action, med fast tip with shimano curado E7 with 65lb braid (power pro or lynch line) . Good Luck! Hope this helps

nwest10

• Email
Re: Ribbit Frogs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »

I was using a Diawa Strike Force 100HA reel and Strike Force Rod 661MHFB - 6'6" with Stren 20lb sonic braid.  ( spent my money on electronics and have not upgraded the catching equipment ).  At any rate, I keep the rod tip high and drop it to 10 and set the hook after the delay.  I'm using the double take hooks which seemed to help some.  I'll give the longer rod a try and spool it up with heavier line.  They are too much fun to fish to give them up..  Thanks for the tip!