My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Fished Oct 28 - 30  (Read 2874 times)

nwest10

• Email
Fished Oct 28 - 30
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »

Spent 3 days on the lake couple of weekends ago and had a great time.  If you want to do some scouting or create trails on your GPS  for when the water comes back now is the time!  I thought the cold front that blew through was going to shut them down, but I had over 30 bass on Saturday with most of them being 2+ lbs.  Spent a lot of time off Needmore Point and around that area as well as Buck Bay.  Schoolies were all over the shallow flats ( 2 to 3 ft ) near the deeper water ( 8 to 12 ft )chasing minnows and shad and were up and down all day long.  Chug Bugs, Stanley Spinners, and Traps were all good to keep tied on.  When they were on top they would blow a chug bug up.  When they went down switched to the spinner and trap to pick up a few more until they shut off completely.  Got into a few schools of dinks, but for the most part all of the schoolies were nice chunks just have to keep your eyes open and chase them cause they are on the move. Many a time I would chase only to see them start blowing up in the spot I just left!  Finally decided to stay put and wait for them and that was the ticket.  The old road bed off Needmore and the flats around were a lot of fun. 

Got to be careful out there especially if you are running up the Ayish Bayou.  Once you get past Miller Creek it aint long before it's a foot deep and it aint no fun pushing your boat off the sand bar....  Don't run hard around Needmore unless you know the area very well and stay in the river channel. It can go from 27 feet to 1 foot in no time. There's some big stumps under the surface there that will take your lower unit off or worse.  Drop your trolling motor when you get in about 8 ft and work in slowly on to the point. If you want to see some of the great Bald Eagles at Big Sam they were wandering around on the point most of the day each day I was there.

If you haven't been out to the lake for a while it's shocking to see.  Powell park ramps are in great shape and deep water if you are looking for a good launch on that end.  It's also a good centeral location to hit the areas I visited.  Hope everyone gets a chance to get in some fall fishing!

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
Re: Fished Oct 28 - 30
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »

Nice to see someone that will share a few things. Most the guys are tight lib about things.  I can't believe how much you can learn about the lake right now. I have a new report coming out in a few days guys. We have  been catching some nice fish.

coopergsr

Re: Fished Oct 28 - 30
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »

Agreed, very good report/info. I plan to be on the lake (Powell Park) Friday week.

Thanks