My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Locating Brush piles???  (Read 28626 times)

premier_135

• Email
Locating Brush piles???
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »

I am having trouble locating submerged brushpiles. I can kinda recognize them on my graph when i see one. but as far as boat positioning where should i throw my marker out (if it is on the graph, is it right under the boat or out in front a little.), and can someone explain what the look like on a graph. i have always heard that fishing brush piles can be awesome, and it is something that i have never got into, but i think it is time. i appreciate everyone!!!

duck500

• Administrator
  • Sr. Members
    • Email
Re: Locating Brush piles???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:16:36 AM »

I will be interested to hear a reply on this topic.

CastawayJB

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »

What kind of graph do you have??

Lowrance...Hummingbird??

JP

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »

Feel free to correct me if I am giving out wrong info. but I was doing research on hummingbird's website and read about the bottom coverage and degree of transducer.  For example, if you have a 20 degree transducer it reads 1/3 the depth, (if it is 12 ft deep then it is showing 4 ft of the bottom under the transducer).  A 60 degree transducer read 1 times the bottom depth.  After that the 180 degree transducers read to the right and left of boat.  Outside of that I am still trying to learn how to better read my depthfinder also to get better at offshore structure fishing.  Hope this helps.

TheFluke

• Sr. Members
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »

Lynn puts on a bass class, which goes over your electronics. Perhaps that will solve the problem...Lynn, I only charge 15% for my advertisment + $25.00 Fuel Surcharge... ;D

duck500

• Administrator
  • Sr. Members
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »

The Fluke....Now that is some funny stuff! LOL!!!!

I recommend anytime out on the water with Lynn.
NO CHARGE for that Lynn. LOL!!!!

premier_135

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »

sorry for the late reply, i have a lowrance lcx-28c. i havealways had a little luck just making a few casts and feeling for the brush piles, but i would like to be able to mark each side of them. and i guess there is really now way to determine if its grass or a brush pile unless you get some grass on your hook. thanks for the replies so far.

ronelam

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »

dont worry you are not the onlyone having truble finding brush on big sam the brushpiles that ive found have people names on them and usely have whiteperche hooks all over them

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »

Boys Boys it not nice to fish someone else brush piles most of them have names on them.  Sometimes its hard to tell if its brush or grass that you are seeing on the sonar. A football jig can tell you what it is in a hurry. The best thing is set out a few little brushpile so only you know where there are.  You need to keep them around 12 to 16 foot deep and don't make them to big. Thats paided off for me a lot of times. At that depth you are only looking a about a 4 four circle the transducer has to be right over the brush. Good Luck

CastawayJB

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »

One more thing....if you are in water deeper than 12-13 feet and you see an object on your graph that is connected to the bottom, it is more than likely going to a stump or brush pile. I have found grass that deep on other lakes and I am sure it will grow that deep on Rayburn but I have never found it.

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »

I have found grass as deep as 18 ft on rayburn around some of the structure. the best way  is to put a  jig on the structure.

premier_135

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »

ok sounds like i need to build my own brushpiles. I wasn't quite aware that they were man made. I had a good idea, but im glad, now i know. HOw do i pick a good spot for a brush pile? points, creeks, or can i just put one the 1st place on the lake that is 12-16 ft deep?

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 06:17:55 AM »

I put   them where I have caught fish before in the creeks and off points.

ronelam

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »

back to man made brush piles, the lake has been there long enough for most of the wood to rot, that is why you don't see much wood on the bottom, but back to the man made brush i know people work hard to put brush in the lake but---- the lake belongs to no one individual, i have found that if a boat is not on the brush pile unless a boat comes up and you know that they are guides you have just as a right to fish it as anyone allthough some may disagree.

Reelumn

• Administrator
    • www.rayburncountry.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »

Thats the way it goes most of the time. If you just fish it now and then is one thing but sometimes you have a local that will set on it everyday or someone will give the gps to his buddys and them it goes out to their buddys and so on. I would say its cost me around $800 a year plus labor for brushpiles so you can see how it would leave a bad taste in your mouth... I look at it this way if you going fish someone hard work you could bring some more brush out to it. For bass  I would keep it small it seems to work better. But remember the first time you come up on it and someone is sitting there keep your cool.
Pages: [1] 2 3